It is that time of the year again when you’ll be stepping out of your indoor treadmill and hitting the outdoors for running. However, this can cause both chronic and acute pain, leading to running injuries, such as sciatica, Achilles tendonitis, Plantar Fasciitis and shin splints. For recovery and pain management, acupuncture treatment is something you should consider.
How Acupuncture Works
In case you are gearing up for a marathon race, spending time running outside while increasing your mileage and speed simultaneously, can take a toll on your body. If you suffer from any injury during the sessions, it can be extremely hard and painful to carry out the treatment efficiently. Acupuncture can help the cause in many ways.
- It accelerates the body repair mechanism by increasing the blood flow to the site of injury, releasing tight and irritated tendons and muscles, and helping in muscle fiber mobility.
- When facing a Plantar Fasciitis condition, the tendon of your foot is swollen, causing heel pain while running or walking. Acupuncture comes as a rescue with needles initiating the healing process of the body, coupled with herbs to neutralize irritation, and proper exercises to do the tendons.
- Your piriformis is probably tight or weak, if you are dealing with Sciatica. It can be released and relaxed with the needling process, which alleviates the pressure off the sciatic nerve and helps in healing the pain faster.
- Another common condition that can be treated with acupuncture is Achilles tendonitis. If you are experiencing pain and tightness between your heel and calf, releasing the surrounding muscles can bring much relief.
- You may be suffering from shin splints, if you experience sharp and achy pain in the shin portion of the lower body. It can happen anytime when you are walking or running. Abrupt increase in mileage can lead to such conditions, and the only cure is to take ample rest and recover. Acupuncture treatment can come in handy to reduce inflammation and swelling, while helping the body to boost the affected region.
In order to avert any serious injury related to running, it is always advisable to take preventive measures beforehand. The process of easing into the season should start with gradual increment of speed and mileage. This gives your body sufficient time to adjust and also to recover. Hence, it is crucial to take a break at regular intervals.
Try Medical Acupuncture Today at Train Away Pain
If you are dealing with acute or chronic pain due to running, it’s better not to ignore it for a long time, as it can quickly become detrimental. Here At Train Away Pain, we use medical acupuncture to treat a variety of issues. For each individual, we address movement imbalances and pain patterns. A brief exercise plan is developed to enhance performance and correct biomechanics, with an objective to build core strength, flexibility and balance. For both recovery and preventive acupuncture treatment for running injuries such as shin splints, Achilles Tendonitis and Plantar Fasciitis, schedule an appointment with us today!